Re: 5 Sp Auto

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Sat Jan 17 1998 - 12:55:42 EST

At 07:28 AM 1/16/98 , you wrote:

>Um, me thinks the dealer has been telling you a little fib. Chrysler
>corp doesn't make a 5-speed auto. They make a 5-speed stick (well,
>actually Borg-Warner makes it) for the Viper, and the 4-speed
>auto-stick in various autos, but no 5-speed auto in a Dak, or any
>other of their vehicles for that matter.
>
>Carl (it aint 5 speeds unless you count the lockup torque converter)
>Vidos

What??? My dealer lie to me just to make a sale? Surely you jest!

Speaking of jesting, that's basically what I was doing. When I take off
from a stop, the transmission shifts four times, then when it gets above
45mph it goes into overdrive. I know the literature and most normal
thinking people call this a 4-speed, but in my sick and twisted mind I
figure if it acts like a 5th gear and drives like a 5th gear.... After
all, 4th in a manual is direct drive with 5th being overdrive so why should
they have all the fun and prestige of having 5 speeds and my poor overdrive
is relegated to second class citizenship? (See the sick and twisted
reference above)

Anyway, I know when I've been beaten. I will no longer refer to my
automatic transmission as a 5-speed no matter how many times it shifts.
(At least I didn't count reverse, park and neutral and try calling it an
eight speed)

Mike (At least it's still an Auto!) Crumley

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed