Re: 5 Sp Auto

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 19 1998 - 01:30:54 EST

Well, you're not that twisted Mike, because I'm inclined to agree with
you, I mean as you say OD does basically the same thing as 5th on a stick
so why not call it a 5th gear, heck on my old car ('89 Cutlas Supreme,
totalled in '95) the auto tranny had 5 positions OD,D,3,2,1.....

Bruce

> What??? My dealer lie to me just to make a sale? Surely you jest!
> Speaking of jesting, that's basically what I was doing. When I take off
> from a stop, the transmission shifts four times, then when it gets above
> 45mph it goes into overdrive. I know the literature and most normal
> thinking people call this a 4-speed, but in my sick and twisted mind I
> figure if it acts like a 5th gear and drives like a 5th gear.... After
> all, 4th in a manual is direct drive with 5th being overdrive so why should
> they have all the fun and prestige of having 5 speeds and my poor overdrive
> is relegated to second class citizenship? (See the sick and twisted
> reference above)
>
> Anyway, I know when I've been beaten. I will no longer refer to my
> automatic transmission as a 5-speed no matter how many times it shifts.
> (At least I didn't count reverse, park and neutral and try calling it an
> eight speed)
>
> Mike (At least it's still an Auto!) Crumley
I agree totally...