Re: Smart key on 98 dakota

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 19 1998 - 01:18:44 EST

> It's probably an option. My recommendation would be not to waste your money,
> thieves can get around them, an alarm system is better.
> Robert Trottmann
>
> Stephen V. Trovato wrote:
>
> > My '98 owner's manual also mentions the Smart Key system, but my truck is
> > certainly not equipped with it. I have several duplicated keys that I
> > use, and none of them are "Smart Keys". Anyone know why this would be in
> > the manual?
> >
> > -S
> >
> > > Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 15:12:37 -0500
> > > From: Michael Demetriou <miked@starlinx.com>
> > > Subject: DML: Smart key on 98 dakota
> > >
> > > Does anyone on the list with a 98 dak see anything in their owners manual
> > > about the smart key system ?
> > > Mine says the key has a chip inside which must be programmed to your truck
> > > and it has instruction for programming a spare key using two keys which are
> > > already programmed. Has anyone tried programming a spare key ? I saw a post
> > > in the archives from december where a list member with the smart key
> > > decribed in his manual went out and got a key cut at a local store and it
> > > work without trying to program it. Has anyone else had any experience with
> > > the smart key?

My guess would be that the smart key is still in the planning process and
they'll probably introduce them sometime later in the year, but they went
ahead and put the info in the manual so they won't have to do another
printing run of manuals halfway through the year when they're finally
introduced, just a cost-saving move would be my guess.....

Bruce