RE: Motorcycle Wheel Chock

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Mon Jan 19 1998 - 05:35:39 EST

Nick,

I like it :-) The insert idea has promis. Mount the insert to the
truck and attach the bike to the insert. On my present truck
(chebby) I have a tubular shock which I mount with thumb screws
through the bed mat. I always have 4 holes in the mat. I like
your way, 4 less holes :-)

Drive Safe,

Joe

>Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 21:36:49 EST
>From: DirtRide65 <DirtRide65@AOL.COM>
>Subject: Re: DML: Motorcycle Wheel Chock

><< joe >>
>Joe, I'll tell you what I did with my 98,
>I didn't want to cut any holes in the truck, So I took a 4 X 4 and a 2 X 4 and
>screwed them together. Cut the board to the width of the truck and put it up
>against the front of the bed. I drilled holes and used close line type
>hooks(like eyebolts but the end is a little more open) I hooked them into the
>tie down spots, put the bolt thru the hole and this hold the board tight to
>the floor. I also put 3 eye bolts in the 4 X 4 and counter sunk the hole on
>the bottom of the 4 X 4 so the nuts on the bottom would be flush with the
>board and not damage the bed. Then I had to notch the 4 X 4 because when I put
>the bike against the front of the bed, it would hit the board before it hit
>the wall, so the notch keeps the wheel from going side to side and the
>eyebolts I put it are towards the outside of the board, so there's more
>leverage to keep the bike down.
>
>What I did on my old truck that had stake pockets (our also has a place to
>hook on the outside of the front edges of the bed between the cab and bed, you
>can hook a tie down into it) it mount an atk bike shoe on one side and a
>motorcycle wheel chock onto the other dies and bolted them to a sheet of
>plywood that just layed in the bed and I could take it out when not hauling
>bikes.
>
>Both systems worked well although both needed tie downs also.
>
>Nick

Joe Dille

Telford PA USA
(joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)