Re: Smart key on 98 dakota

From: Jason & Norah (janor@ican.net)
Date: Mon Jan 19 1998 - 07:22:17 EST

At 01:03 AM 1/19/98 -0600, Robert Trottmann wrote:
[regarding smart keys]
>It's probably an option. My recommendation would be not to waste your money,
>thieves can get around them, an alarm system is better.
>Robert Trottmann

Maybe I don't understand what is meant by a smart key. I thought it was one
of these electronic systems that don't allow the engine to start unless they
get a specific signal first. Norah has a Loctronics system in her Dakota,
and the way it's put in there you can't easily disable it without disabling
the starter as well. I suppose if you knew all about them, you could take
the thing apart and splice around it, but most thieves won't go to that much
effort. This thing will not let the truck start unless you give it the chip
first. It went flaky once and there was no starting the truck until the
service tech showed up to replace it. If there is a way around this, I want
to know about it. I was considering getting one installed in my Dakota.

As for an alarm, they don't really keep people from taking your truck.
Thieves just open the door, get in, listen to the alarm, take the column
apart, start it and drive off. Nobody seems to pay any attention to alarms
any more, at least not in cities. I've accidentally set mine off a few
times and nobody even blinked.

Of course, if they REALLY want your vehicle, they'll just put it on a
flatbed truck and drive off with it. I guess the best thing you can do is
make sure it's insured.

Jason