engine noise

From: David Brown (dbrown@mh1.mcis.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 13:59:22 EST

>I notice, only when dead cold, first thing in AM, a LOT of engine
>fan noise, and the shift points are way up, even under very light load.
>(I don't belive in gooseing an engine till it's warm) After 2-3 min,
>the fan/air noise settles down. Almost like the thermal clutch
>on the fan works backwards. Not an exhaust sound on mine.
> Mike

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. Kinda hard to tell from the drivers seat
exactly what it is (fan or exhaust or even the cat). I've only noticed it
when the engine is cold, but it doesn't do it every time. BTW, mine is a V6
so it's not just the V8s.

Mike Crumley mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota Regular Cab Short Bed

--
My '96 has had a pinging noise that shows up during acceleration, no matter how
hard or easy, since I bought it. There is less with 92 octane gas, so I use