Re: RE: 3.55 vs. 3.92 gears

From: Keredt (Keredt@AOL.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 22 1998 - 02:14:57 EST

<< Joe,
         Here's my opinion. You will have more "power" - your motor will turn more
 rpm's for each revolution of the rear wheels.

You are right. which will Decrease you top end speed
 Your quarter mile e/t's would probably drop a little IF! You could get it to
hook up as well without making any other modifications (doubt it).

The steeper gears make for great launching, to get the hole shot, NHRA cars
typicall have like 5.88 gears or sumtimes steeper. But remember how wide
there tires are, compaired to yours....put in the steeper set and get
275/60R15's they are the same diameter as the 235/70R15 ( tire and handling
pkg ) but are like an Inch and a quarter wider! More Rubber to pavement
means less slip means more traction faster 1/4 mi times!

As for the snow, you're wrong. If conditions are slick at all (uphill on wet
blacktop, ice, snow... whatever) you would want to take off in a higher (lower
numerically) gear.
 Example: super icy conditions = start off in second gear. I have the 3.21
 and it's great for slick conditions - sucks that it's not a sure grip
 though. My first car was a very nice 65 Mustang Convertible. Original rear
 was around 3.00 (2.90-3.10 - whatever) and I used to find patches of water
 to burn out/doughnut in. For fun, I put a 4.11 third member in it, and even
 with lakewood traction bars on it, it would hop badly and absolutely boil
 the tires without flooring it (built motor and no posi rear end). Point is:
 harder launch, but harder to get traction the lower (higher numerically)
 your rear end/trans gears are. Anyone know a magic potion for a SG 3.21
 that wouldn't break me (wouldn't take much to break me!$!)... let me know.

Don't think you can get 3.21 LSD, at least through Mopar, thats why you can
only order the LSD w/ 3.55 and the 3.92 gear sets.

      Recently I posted about upgrading mey 98 318 3.55 Dakota to 3.92 Sure
      Grip. I have recieved comments stating it would not make the truck any
      quicker in the 1/4. Can anyone clarify what I will gain / lose by doing
such a
      conversion? I am under the impression that the truck will launch
better, be
      quicker in the 1/4 and be a little better in the snow.

  Thanks, Joe