Re: air bag

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 12:41:03 EST

> if I get my doctor's permission, I can have a switch put
> in ($$$$$) sometime next year, if they (bb) approve my request.

  Like you, I think this is unadulterated horseshit, but there are lots
of bad laws along with the good ones.

> I do have wire snippers. Anyone willing to tell me which wire to snip? (Is
> this a federal offense? Will I go to jail?

  I most definitely DO NOT recommend that you take wire snippers to any
part of the supplementary restraint system, and not necessarily for
legal reasons. This is a sensitive system that involves pyrotechnics,
and if you do the wrong thing it could blow up in your face.

  If you wanted, you could look for instructions in your shop manual that
tell you how to disengage the airbag while working on the electrical
system. No, I don't recall how it is done.

  I don't think Uncle Sam is gonna come breaking down your door in the
middle of the night, but if you get in a wreck and want to collect damages,
the fact that you snipped your airbag might be of interest to various
insurance companies.

  Ron