RE: air bag

From: [SMTP (dyorke@thefuture.net)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 16:54:45 EST

> I'm trying to find a way to dismember my air bag. I called the Dodge
> dealership and they informed me that big brother says I can't...even
tho I'm
> under 100 pounds and have to sit close to the wheel (not very tall
either).
> From what I hear, if I get my doctor's permission, I can have a switch
put
> in ($$$$$) sometime next year, if they (bb) approve my request.

Check out http://www.hwysafety.org/airbags/airbag.htm... they have
everything you'd like to know about airbags, some movies of airbag vs.
no-airbag collisions (including one with a "5th percentile female"), and
so on. Their general recommendation is *not* to deactivate your
airbags.

If you're not convinced, though,
http://www.cartalk.com/Info/nht8696.html has
a press release from NHTSA which says they're ending their policy of
case-by-case
approval for deactivations. That means anyone who feels their airbag
poses a
threat to them can have it turned off. Take a printout of that (or call
NHTSA for
one) to your dealer and they should do it for you.

cheers,
mike