Re: air bag

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Sat Jan 24 1998 - 11:53:07 EST

At 05:50 PM 1/23/98 , you wrote:

>> I feel much the same way. My 'druthers would be for factory 4-point
>> harnesses rather than the 3-point belts. The airbag seems like an overly
>> complex solution, which had to be legislated for existence, especially
>> since it still relies on wearing seat belts in order to provide safety.
>> I would bet that a simple harness would provide much more safety than
>> a 3-point & airbag for much less expense.
>>
>> Ron
>>

>I'm inclined to agree with you especially considering that they have the 4
>point harnesses in race cars and I've seen them slam into a brick wall at
>180 and the driver walk away from the accident, so those harnesses must
>work pretty well...
>
>Bruce

They only work well if you use them. The average person wants the drivers
seat in their car to be more like their living room easy chair, not the
inside of a race car. Considering the number of people who are reluctant to
use the 3 pointers, I wonder how many would find new excuses not to use 4
pointers ("They mess up my clothes too much"). And how would women feel
about restraints that strap across their breasts like 4 point belts are
made to do. Another consideration is that the 4 point belts are not the
only reason race car drivers are able to walk away from crashes. The whole
car is made to insure driver safety in just such a crash, not to mention
that race car drivers are well conditioned athletes who can handle it better.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed