Re: air bag

From: rbt@pop3.frontiernet.net
Date: Sat Jan 24 1998 - 07:11:17 EST

> (I
> >> I most definitely DO NOT recommend that you take wire snippers to any
> >>part of the supplementary restraint system, and not necessarily for
> >>legal reasons. This is a sensitive system that involves pyrotechnics,
> >>and if you do the wrong thing it could blow up in your face.
> >
> >I agree. The sodium azide charge in an airbag is the same thing as in
> >a GI hand grenade. not to be fooled with.
> >
> >Still, wrecking yards have to (and do) deal with them. Maybe they'd be
> >able to help, or have the instructions.
>
> Locksmiths who work on auto ignition switches also must have knowledge of
> airbags.

I think I'd go the "legal" route in disabling them with a switch.

1) If you get in an accident will there may be trouble getting payment
for medical injuries from your insurance company? (under the
impession you still had them enabled?).

2) The liability when you sell the vehicle. (was it properly
disclosed the bag is disabled)

With the switch installed, you can turn em off and subsequent owners
can turn 'em back on -all the while you legally had nothing to do
with the system in case the bags malfunction later.

Yes indeed, it can be a lose-lose proposition for someone that can be
hurt be the bags: You payed for something you can't use and pay again
to disable it so it wont hurt you! :-(

-BobT. '98 CC Sport+ 4X4 V8 3.55 5sp