Re: Performance mods....

From: Terry Hebert (hebert1@windsor.igs.net)
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 21:58:00 EST

--------------6563026665DC874E86D45773

Robert Trottmann wrote:

> Maybe if my dad hadn't ditched my mom and I, he could have taught me
> something, I'm sorry I'm not body dropping my Dak with a swiss army
> knife. None of my friends at school knew jack about cars, they
> couldn't look at a car and tell you if it was Jap crap or Dodge
> quality, so my source of info. was rather limited. (Private school).
> I didn't know about the ERSON set up, and the K&N just seemed like a
> better deal, for about $40 more, you get an easier setup, CARB # and
> the cleaning/ oiling stuff included. I also looked at the DML page,
> and saw that most engine- modified Dakotas were running FIPKs.
> Robert Trottmann
> rotrottmann@davidson.edu
>
> Terry Hebert wrote:
>
>> Robert Trottmann wrote:
>>
>> > When it comes to K&N, you have two choices:
>> > 1) Replace just the filter, keeping everything else stock. This
>> adds
>> > about 5 horses, and costs about $35.
>> > 2) You could also get a K&N FIPK, which replaces the entire air
>> box,
>> > and is an open element filter. There is also an FIPK clone, that
>> you can do for
>> > cheaper, > but I'm not getting it b/c you have to bend your own s-
>> bolt, and it
>> > doesn't come with the filter cleaner, or some hook up that escaped
>> my mind
>> > now. To see what I'm talking about, look at the DML homepage,
>> there are lots of
>> > engine pictures with the FIPK on them.
>>
>> I have the FIPK clone and no s- bolt is necessary. I used the E-1080
>>
>> K&N filter and ERSON E981102 air cleaner. The ERSON comes with a
>> new
>> carriage bolt, wing nut and PCV hook up. My girlfriend installed it
>> for
>> me. I don't mean to be sexist or single out any members but if you
>> can't
>> install this setup yourself then you're mechanically incompetant and
>>
>> shouldn't be modifying your truck.
>> Does this apply to anyone with an FIPK?
>> $0.02(no comment)

THIS APPLIES TO ANYONE WHO PURCHASES THE FIPK FOR EASE OF
INSTALLATION.The statement was not meant to reduce any members to PEON
status or SUBHUMAN. I was just trying to get the point across that if
your sole criteria in deciding between the K&N FIPK and the Clone is
installation then it shouldn't be.
If you need the Clean Air sticker then obviously the FIPK is the way to
go. I just couldn't justify paying $50-$60 extra for the sticker and
some oil. Many members on the DML obtained their FIPK setups before Sean
Meldrum came up with the necessary part#'s for the clone setup. He was
so kind to share this info. with us and that's how the FIPK clone came
about. Many members may not have had this information available to them
when they were rationalizing their purchase. I hope I've not offended
anyone 8( and cleaned up some bad air.

Terry

--------------6563026665DC874E86D45773

<HTML>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

Terry Hebert wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Robert Trottmann wrote:

> When it comes to K&N, you have two choices:
> 1) Replace just the filter, keeping everything else stock.
This adds
> about 5 horses, and costs about $35.
> 2) You could also get a K&N FIPK, which replaces the entire air
box,
> and is an open element filter. There is also an FIPK clone,
that you can do for
> cheaper, > but I'm not getting it b/c you have to bend your own s-
bolt, and it
> doesn't come with the filter cleaner, or some hook up that escaped
my mind
> now. To see what I'm talking about, look at the DML homepage,
there are lots of
> engine pictures with the FIPK on them.

I have the FIPK clone and no s- bolt is necessary. I used the E-1080
K&N filter and ERSON E981102 air cleaner. The ERSON comes
with a new
carriage bolt, wing nut and PCV hook up. My girlfriend installed
it for
me. I don't mean to be sexist or single out any members but if you
can't
install this setup yourself then you're <U>mechanically incompetant
and</U>
<U>shouldn't be modifying your truck.</U>
<B>Does this apply to anyone with an FIPK?</B>
$0.02(no comment)</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<B><I>THIS APPLIES TO ANYONE WHO PURCHASES THE FIPK FOR EASE OF INSTALLATION.</I></B>The
statement was not meant to reduce any members to <B><I>PEON </I></B>status
or <B><I>SUBHUMAN. </I></B>I was just trying to get the point