Re: Air filters, FIPK, clones

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 00:19:23 EST

At 11:37 AM 1/11/98 -0500, kowalski@mnsinc.com wrote:

>> A friend of mine took some pics of my clone this morning with his digital
>>camera. Unfortunately, the light reflecting off the chrome didn't dither
>>quite right, but it should give you an idea about what it looks like.
>>
>> I've stuck them on the web at:
>>
>> http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/KNCLONE/
>>
>> Its a Mr. Gasket 14" air cleaner and a 14x3" K&N Filtercharger element.
>>If you'd like part numbers, let me know and I'll look 'em up for you.
>>(Eventually, I'll probably post some pictures and a description of the
>>process in the "upgrades" section of the web page, along with part numbers
>>and such. Anyone else who'd like to do the same is welcome to; there are
>>certainly many ways to do a K&N clone.)

>I'd like the part numbers if it's not too much trouble. Also, did you have
>to modify the base to install the breather hose?
>
>Thanks!

  Sorry its been so long! I just realized that I never got back to you with
those part numbers. Sorry. :-P

  Yep, I did modify the base - I just had to file the hole out a little
bigger so that I could use the stock fitting. (The base came with a fitting,
but it was kinda cheezy.)

  Here are those part numbers:

  The base is a Mr. Gasket #1480

   Unfortunately, someone threw out my K&N box, so I don't know what the
part number is for it. I didn't order it by part number anyway; I just
went to the local Parts America and got a 14x3" element. (I think it was
for GM trucks, or something.) Any 14"xwhatever element should fit.

   I apologize again for the delay!

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.