Re: Daytime running lights

From: Jason & Norah (janor@ican.net)
Date: Fri Jan 30 1998 - 22:44:22 EST

At 11:19 AM 1/30/98 -0600, you wrote:
>At 07:26 AM 1/30/98 , you wrote:
>>I just bought a 98 Dakota 4x4 Club Cab with v-6. It is sold in Canada
>>with daytiame running lights. Does anyone know how to easily activate
>>these lights for the US model? I hope all the wiring is there and it just
>>needs a few connections to work.
>
>I don't know anything about 98s or Canadian vehicles (Which side of the
>road do they drive on, anyway?) but my 97 has a knob to the left of the
>steering wheel that you pull out to activate the "daytime running" lights. :-)
>
>(Sorry y'all, I just couldn't resist.)
>
>--
>Mike Crumley mcrumley@airmail.net

That's all right. We'll try not to be too offended :-). Just don't come
north of the border until you've studied up on our strange habits like
driving on the right side of the road, putting daytime running lights on
vehicles and measuring speed in kilometers per hour. Wouldn't want you to
cause a wreck because you were distracted with the slide rule trying to
convert to miles or got blinded by someone's DRLs. (You did ask for this :-)

At any rate, your pull-knob-activated DRLs are about as good as you're going
to get starting with a US vehicle. At least this was my experience with my
'95 when I moved to Canada. (To answer the first question, yes, Chrysler
has put DRLs on the Dakotas in Canada at least as far back as 1993.) In
order to bring mine across the border with me, it had to have DRLs
installed. Hinckley's Dodge in Salt Lake charged me $70.23 in parts plus
$174.00 in labor to make it so that my low beam lights stay on at 100%
intensity as long as the key is switched on.

Unless you can find someone who can install a reduced-intensity system (and
hopefully for a lot less money), I don't recommend it. Just remember to
turn your lights on when you're driving and remember to turn them back off
when you stop.

Jason