95 DAK shifting problems

From: wromberg@vt.edu
Date: Sat Jan 31 1998 - 00:59:22 EST

DAK diehards. . .

I recently started to experience difficulty shifting into 1st and 2nd gears in my 95 Dakota (5-speed trans)--particularly when the vehicle is cold.
I have no problem shifting between gears when sitting still, but once the vehicle is moving, the resistance (particularly going into 2nd) is pretty noticeable.
Although I hate to do it, some mornings I have to literally force it into second--and on occasion it is accompanied by a little grinding.
I checked all the standard things like fluid level in tranny, fluid level in clutch master cylinder reservoir, and performed standard test suggested in
the my service manual and no obvious culprit has emerged. Took it to a local dealer and they proceeded to try and sell me the story that all DAK 5-speeds shift hard particularly when
cold. Now I am not an expert and I have seen some references to difficulties with the 5-speed, but I've never had this problem with shifting (even when I lived in Alaska which is a hell of
lot colder than VA!). Any suggestions out there on what might be the problem? Thanks in advance.

Bill Romberg
         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)