RE: LSD!

From: Phil Caskey (pcaskey@conelec.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 1998 - 17:07:18 EST

On Monday, February 02, 1998 2:20 PM, JCALLENDS@aol.com
[SMTP:JCALLENDS@aol.com] wrote:

> Just a slight clarification on limited slip differentials ! They
don't
> supply power to both wheels at the same time, they supply power to the
wheel
> that has traction. If you were on a frozen lake they would be worthless,
but
> in most cases, including the drag strip, when one wheel spins the other
is on
> a good surface. LSD's are usually some variation of what is known as a
> "Bellville Clutch". And if you want to know which wheel is the normal
driving
> wheel, it is the wheel that is on the side of the differential that has
the
> ring gear on it, which means you either have to look at a shop manual or
take
> the cover off the differential and look inside, to figure it out.
>
> Jack Collins ---------Older than old !
>
> 87 DAKOTA LE with 225,000+miles 98 DAKOTA SLT CC with
> 2,000+miles

Will the "normal drive wheel" will see more wear than the other or do both
wheels wear evenly? No, I don't want to find out by not rotating my
tires... ;-)

Forgive a possibly stupid question, but how does the diff transfer power
from one wheel to the other?

Phil
98 SLT+ CC 318 4x4 with 850 miles after 1 week!