Transmissions.

From: JCALLENDS@AOL.COM
Date: Wed Feb 04 1998 - 09:54:32 EST

Jeff Lee, Sorry I gave the impression of not following Dodge's
recommendations as to changing the transmission sump. I do believe in most of
their recommendations including that one. Why I have not done this can best be
told by the following. I don't recall ever seeing ,in the 87 Dodge Owners
Handbook or Dodge's Shop Manual, a recommendation to change the sump. Since I
had always done this on other vehicles I went looking for a gasket & filter
set, in 1988 when I had about 40,000 miles. None of my usual sources had the
DAKOTA kit and I was forced to go to the local Dealer. When I told the parts
guy what I was looking for one of the Service Mgrs., who was also at the
counter, asked me if I was having tranny problems. I replied no but I had
enough miles to renew the sump. He then told me that Dodge's current thinking
was not to perform this service unless you were having problems with the
tranmission. History has proven, at least for me, that it was a good
recommedation. Since then Dodge has changed their thinking. By all means, do
the recommended services, and don't put your warranty in jeopardy.

    Jack Collins..........Older than old.

   87 DAKOTA LE with 225,000 miles. 98 DAKOTA SLT CC with 2,000 miles.