Re: Transmissions.

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Wed Feb 04 1998 - 11:14:04 EST

> Jeff Lee, Sorry I gave the impression of not following Dodge's
> recommendations as to changing the transmission sump. I do believe in most of
> their recommendations including that one. Why I have not done this can best be
> told by the following. I don't recall ever seeing ,in the 87 Dodge Owners
> Handbook or Dodge's Shop Manual, a recommendation to change the sump. Since I
> had always done this on other vehicles I went looking for a gasket & filter
> set, in 1988 when I had about 40,000 miles. None of my usual sources had the
> DAKOTA kit and I was forced to go to the local Dealer. When I told the parts
> guy what I was looking for one of the Service Mgrs., who was also at the
> counter, asked me if I was having tranny problems. I replied no but I had
> enough miles to renew the sump. He then told me that Dodge's current thinking
> was not to perform this service unless you were having problems with the
> tranmission. History has proven, at least for me, that it was a good
> recommedation. Since then Dodge has changed their thinking. By all means, do
> the recommended services, and don't put your warranty in jeopardy.

Thanks for the reply Jack. Fortunately this is not an issue with the 5spd
on my 98 Dak, though I was hoping somebody had better info on maintenance
for the NVG3500 trans.

My 96 minivan with its A46E 4spd auto transaxle is another story. This trans
has been one of CC's worst nightmares. It would seem that they have changed
their tune about this trans to the point of going overboard making sure it
is maintained. I am following their frequent recommended service intervals,
and hope to keep it trouble-free. 35K miles and still running well (knock,
knock) ;}.

jeff
98 RC 4x3 V8 5spd 3.55SG