Re: Transmissions.

From: Keredt@AOL.COM
Date: Wed Feb 04 1998 - 18:01:14 EST

<<
 My 96 minivan with its A46E 4spd auto transaxle is another story. This trans
 has been one of CC's worst nightmares. It would seem that they have changed
 their tune about this trans to the point of going overboard making sure it
 is maintained. I am following their frequent recommended service intervals,
 and hope to keep it trouble-free. 35K miles and still running well (knock,
 knock) ;}. >>
The main problem they had with those units is a roll pin in the diff section
of the transaxle. Where the axles fit into the diff, there is a boss pin to
keep the spider gears inplace, and a roll pin to keep the boss pin in place,
the problem was that the vibration in the trans would " rattle " the boss pin
and eventually break the roll pin. OUCH. This happened to me at work one day
after changing a set of front struts on one. The roll pin broke while I was
backin the van off the rack, it would roll back about 6 feet then stop. When
one of the other mechanics forced it back you heard a loud POP and then there
was a puddle of tranny fluid. The boss pin slid out of position and when
forced to go it punctured the case of the tranny!! Owner was P.O.'d! we
towed it to a dealer and he looked at and determined it wasn't our fault. He
said that if the guy left the shop and got on Hiway 64 at 65 mph and that
happened there would have been a big accident, the front wheels could have
locked up and possible evasive skidding would result!

Keredt