Re: Traction

From: Keredt@AOL.COM
Date: Wed Feb 04 1998 - 18:01:16 EST

<<
 I thought Chris Persons was talking about off-the-line traction. At any
 rate, I'd be surprised if (unless massive) a spoiler would have any
 appreciable effect at normal highway speeds. I seem to recall this precise
 debate when Dodge in the early seventies released the Daytona Charger with
 the tall, narrow rear spoiler, and the consensus then (again if I recall
 correctly) was that the benefits of such a small surface area device would
 be insubstantial at anything but superspeedway speeds.

But isn't that why the Daytona had the outcrops on the front fenders? The car
had so much downforce applied that they needed to make room for the tires so
they wouldn't hit the inside of the fenderwell.

Keredt