Re: Shutter

From: BUtzman@compuserve.com
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 01:57:32 EST

On 3 Feb 1998 Glenn Vanderburg wrote:

>Has anyone heard of a reason why I might be getting a shutter when I start
>off from a dead start and the vehicle starts to move I get this shutter
>then it quickly goes away. Took it to dealer and they replaced a U-joint
>but the problem is still there. PS this truck is 1994 Automatic 2x4 with
>only 31,000K's and the warranty runs out in April. Any ideas?
>GV

Glenn,

If this is something you're hearing more than feeling, you might check the
heat shield brackets welded to the exhaust crossover pipe. On my '94 one
of the welds broke, allowing it to vibrate. It was causing a shuddering
noise but only around 875 rpm, then it would stop. Most noticeable when
taking off, like you said. For some reason it would only do it with the
truck in motion, not sitting still. Before I figured out what the problem
was, I had two mechanics tell me it was the torque converter for sure. My
quick and easy fix was to tie heavy gauge annealed wire around the shield
and pipe, crimping it tight; it's lasted over 15,000 miles.

Brian U.

         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)