Re: FCC

From: Jason & Norah (janor@ican.net)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 05:52:18 EST

At 11:33 PM 2/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
>just to let you all know this is out of date, here is the response
>
>cuervo
>If you are responding to a message stating that local phone companies have
>asked the FCC for permission to impose per-minute charges for Internet
>access, please be aware that this information is out of date. The FCC
>decided in May 1997 NOT to allow imposition of interstate access charges on
>Internet service providers. There is no comment period currently open in
>this proceeding.

You've gotta be sh*tting me. You mean they actually considered something
like this? I've heard horror stories about a "modem tax" at least twice
before, and the FCC both times told everyone who asked about it that it was
totally ridiculous. Possibly this is something different, but the story
that used to get passed around every couple of years was that the phone
company had some new equipment with which they were going to eavesdrop on
every connection and put an extra charge on any connection that was using a
modem. All it's ever been before is someone trying to scare people and see
if they could get a message spread all over the Internet, like the "Good
Times" text virus.

Jason