Re: Clone Mess up.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 23:10:13 EST

At 05:16 PM 2/9/98 -0600, Robert Trottmann wrote:

>> << After that, I'm
>> never even trying to install anything myself, I'm just not competent
>> enough.
>> Robert Trottmann (probably last post) >>
>>
>> Hey Robert,
>>
>> Thats a pretty sad story, but I wouldn't get too down on yourself. We all
>> F@#k things up now and again.
>>

>I'm pretty much over that now. I was going to replace the hood with a cowl hood
>anyway, so I'm just going to do that next, and put off the amp until summer.

  I'll be interested to hear how that works out for you!

>> As for the Edelbrock not fitting, that is a question that was just about to
>> post. The Edelbrock (or Mr Gasket, etc.) aftermarket cleaners say they fit on
>> standard 5-1/8" Carbs. When I measure my TB, I get 5" on the nose. When I
>> install minem, I'll have 1/6" to the side of play. For you guys who have done
>> this, how have you overcome this (adapter plate, etc.), or do you just live
>> with the play. Also, what do you guys do to seal the cleaner to the TB (maybe
>> gaskets that come with the kit)
>>

>That is weird. When I measure my TBI, I got 5.25", which is the diameter of the
>Edelbrock. My not fitting problem is that the can itself won't go all the way
>down.

  Ahhh... Yes, the rescessed base types don't work on the Dak.

> I ordered a 3/4" adapter today, that should work, I just hope the new
>height (now including adapter) and the K&N 3" element that's coming tommorrow,
>fits under the hood. If it doesn't, I'm shooting something.

   Uh oh. Hide the guns, 'cause I'm afraid I'm about to be the bearer of bad
news. :-(

   I've got a 3" K&N element on my '96, and it *barely* fits under the hood. I
think it touches the hood liner slightly, but I sure wouldn't want to go any
taller. Your adapter might make it too tall...

   However, if your Edelbrock came with an element (2"?) you may want to use that
until you get your cowl hood. The hood may allow you to use the taller element.
As you may know, a cowl induction hood is something I'm interested in getting;
when I do, I'm hoping to be able to go to something even taller; maybe a 4".
('course, then I'll have to figure out what to do with the 3" I spent $40 on.) :-P

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.