Re: : DML:bug guards 97+

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 14:24:03 EST

At 09:08 PM 2/11/98 , you wrote:
>I have a question for all the 97+ daks with a bug shield, i am thinking of
>getting one, but I was wondering, how do you mount them, all the ones i
>have seen bolt to the hood, but my grill is attached where the guard
>usually goes.

The bug shield I have sticks on to the very front of the hood with tape.
The tape is made by 3-M and is the same kind that is used in other auto
applications like those visor things that wrap around the top and front of
the windows, headlight covers and wind deflectors for sun roofs. I was
skeptical about tape at first, but the stuff really sticks and I no longer
worry about anything flying off the hood as I'm driving down the road.

>also is there any advantage to the 3 piece ones (hood and
>headlights) versus the 1 piece (hood only)?

The obvious advantage is that the 3 piece will protect the painted area
behind the headlights. Since this area is flat like a hood it is subject to
the same kind of road hazard that the hood is. Personally, I like the looks
of the 3 piece better than just the single piece.

>and finally, dodge near me
>wants ~$90, jegs wants ~$30-$50, what is the difference between them. I am
>new to this bug shield stuff, but my 6 mo truck already has chips in the
>hood! i need help!!!!!!

The bug shield I have is a Bugflector II made by Auto Ventshade. I got it
at Pep Boys for about $40. The company makes all kinds of auto accessories
and from what I have heard they have a good reputation. I haven't had mine
that long, but so far I am very satisfied. I know the ones Mopar makes are
quite a bit more expensive, but I have never examined one closely so I
couldn't say what the difference is or whether it is worth the extra money.
I believe the Mopar ones are available in colors to match your truck so if
that is important to you, you may have to spend the extra bucks.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed