Re: Engine Noise When Cold

From: jim miller (jmiller@eramp.net)
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 19:25:05 EST

WM96@AOL.COM wrote:

> <<I have a '95 Dakota SLT CLub Cab 4X4 with a 5.2 L V8 and a 5-speed tranny.
> When the truck is cold, the engine noise is quite loud during acceleration.
> It sounds like the engine is redlining, even though it's only revving
> about1500 RPM and going about 15 km/hr. This noise only occurs when it's quite
> cold out (below freezing or a few degreesabove freezing) and goes away after a
> few minutes.I've heard this sound in a few other vehicles as well, notably
> Chevy V6 Astro Vansand Isuzu Rodeos (which also have a Chevy V6 in them). The
> sound is like a largefan running full blast.I'm assuming the noise is intake
> howl that occurs while a certain flap or valveis open during cold running. I'm
> not really worried about it, but I'm wonderingif anybody else has this problem
> and figured out what t is.My truck is also a Canadian version, if that makes
> any difference.Ian >>
> My 97 318 makes this noise on occasion as well, but not only when it is cold.
> It's done it since I bought it. I haven't figured it out yet.
>
> Will
> '97 CC,318,auto,3.55,tire and handling, FABM,duals w/turbo, Pioneer Premier
> Head unit and 6 disc changer, Astro fiberglass bed cover

  This has been discussed before, but you may have missed the answer.
When engine temp is very cold and has not been started for a while the radiator
fan clutch will not
release, driving the fan blades at maximun speed which sounds pretty loud.
Usually after a couple of minutes the clutch will release and allow the radiator
fan to coast. Then the fan clutch does not re engage unless the radiator becomes
hot enough to need it. In winter the fan clutch may never need
to engage at all. However when very cold it takes a little time for it to
release.