Re: Re: Rhino Liner clone, sort of

From: Brett Stoner (Brett@abacusinfo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 19:23:57 EST

<<< David Brown 2/17 3:57p >>>
>I=27ve noticed the apperance of something like this at your local =
department store
>(eg. WalMart) in a spray can. About =247. Don=27t know how well it works. =
Anyone
>with first hand experience?

I used similar stuff made by Duplicolor called Truck Bed Coating (or =
something similar) Overall I=27m very happy with it. It=27s not really =
very rubbery like a rhino liner-- it=27s much more like paint. Because of =
that and because it=27s fairly thin I wouldn=27t recommend it for heavy =
duty work, and I don=27t think it would stand up to metal scraping across =
it like a rhino liner would, however, I=27ve had it installed since early =
summer and it=27s held up very well. I work as a computer consultant and =
the bed is filled with computer type boxes a couple times a week. With =
the exception of a few other odd jobs here and there that=27s about the =
extent of what I carry in the back. Before I installed it the bed had =
started to get some scratches (mostly because of metal staples on the =
boxes or little stones getting trapped underneath them) and the cardboard =
would slide around very easily on the bare paint. The liner hasn=27t =
really shown any damage at all in the months it=27s been installed. Also, =
because it=27s a somewhat rougher surface, the boxes don=27t slide around =
nearly as much as they had. The liner I used came in two colors (black =
and grey) I used the grey and it has turned a bit green (probably because =
of the sun, but it=27s only noticable if you compare it to what=27s under =
the rails) It also is starting to show some scuff marks from dirt or =
maybe ink on the boxes rubbing off. It=27s not too bad and I don=27t =
really mind it, but the black would probably hide that sort of thing =
better. You do need a *lot* of the stuff. I wound up using 14 cans for =
my short bed =2797 truck. I found it for about =244.50 a can, so it=27s =
still much cheaper than a plastic or rhino-type liner. I did the whole =
thing in about 7 hours one evening. (that includes washing, sanding and =
masking time) It would probably be somewhat faster with two people. Like =
I said, I=27m very happy with it and it works well for what I need. If =
anyone is going to try to do their bed let me know and I can give you a =
few pointers.

HTH
  Brett