Re: RE: Oil pressure

From: no email ((no)
Date: Wed Feb 18 1998 - 17:06:00 EST

Well I was taught that a little higher oil pressure was good for an engine
because it meant that the oil has enough pressure to get in all the small
spaces in the engine and ensures the entire engine is adequately
lubricated. My dad always liked to see a good strong oil pressure on his
vehicles, he worked on all his vehicles himself and never had any major
problems out of any of them so I'll go with his opinion....

A little more is OK, but just so long as it's not too extreme to blow out
seals in various places. Normally the pressure relief valve should bypass
too high a pressure. In my car running 20W50 you can peg the 100 psi guage
if you try to "get on it" too soon on cold mornings (not 20-50 weather
in late fall when I put the car into storage). I really gotta let the
heavy oil stabilize or I'll get local high pressure and maybe some spots
not get enough pressure trying to push that maple syrup through its veins! :-)
All the more reason to go with synthetic!

-Bob T.