Automatic shifting erratic

From: am14@chrysler.com
Date: Wed Feb 18 1998 - 18:12:37 EST

Randy writes: >>I recently purchased a 92 4x4 318 automatic. The
transmission shifts in overdrive after 25 miles of driving. It seems
to be somewhat temperature related warmer it shifts at 5 to 10 miles,
and colder it is 25. A mechanic told me 92's dont have a temp lock
out. So what is my problem?? Anybody know??.<<

I have an '89 that did approximately the same thing at approx 130,000
miles. It was the beginning of the end for the tranny, but a change in
the filter/fluid will help you out for a while. The pump is having to
strain to get enough fluid thru it to execute the OD shift. Your SBEC
does have a temperature sensing circuit, though and is not supposed to
allow it to shift until it reaches a given temp. Mine is usually just
when the needle of the gauge reaches the solid line. It usually runs
just shy of mid way. The temp unit that feeds the SBEC is located on
the intake right beside the neck containing the thermostat. These are
also prone to go bad, but usually they are not erratic. Lockup of the
torqueconverter is controlled by the same temp circuit and unit.

E-mail me privately if you want more info.

Azie