Re: Questions on my Options

From: Joe Borg (joe.borg@ccmail.dowjones.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 09:25:55 EST

     Bob, the rear valance is a plastic fill panel that covers the area
     where the bumper should go. Your truck came with a valance instead of
     a bumper.
     I believe the factory axle ratio is 3.92.
     Once you attain a constant cruising speed the torque converter locks
     up to prevent any slippage and power/mileage loss. Standard on most
     new vehicles. A torque converter is BASICALLY 2 fans back to back and
     encased in trans fluid. One fan connected to the motor the other to
     the rear wheels through the transmission. When the motor fan spins
     fast enough it induces the second fan to spin and move the car.
     Obviouslythe second fan wont spin as fast, hence slippage. Once up to
     speed the 2 fans lock together to elimate the slip.
     And finally, new motors have much tighter clearances and can maintain
     good pressure with lighter oils. You will actually make more
     horsepower with lighter oil. Stick to 10w30 UNLESS you live in the
     Arizona desert!
     Hope this helps. (I just asked the same questions about my 98!)
     Joe Borg