Re: Cat question

From: acasey@io.com
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 06:10:13 EST

> How much more would installing a Performance Cat converter improve
> performance? or is the stock Cat not a real drain on power.
>
> Dave

Dave, its funny you should ask that question. I just had a 3" high
flow cat installed Wednesday. My old cat sounded like it was full of
marbles, and I had a feeling it was cloging up my exhuast.

Well let me tell ya, man did it open it up. It feels like there is
no back preasure at all now. And loud, man I scare the shit out of
those f-body and mustang guys. Hell I scare the shit out of
everybody. Especially if you down shift to slow down, it raises all
kinds of hell. It sounded very cool with the flowmaster, but this
is a bit much. I mean it will be cool for a little while (sounds
like a nascar) but it will get old. As for performance, it feels
like I lost some low end torque, but when I hit 4000 rpm, hang on.
I am supposed to go to the track Saturday so I will have some numbers
for ya'll next week.

While the truck was up on the rack they pointed out that my
flowmaster muffler is starting to rust through on the bottom. So I
guess now I have an excuse to replace it with something a little
quieter. Either that or put a reducer pipe between the cat and the
muffler. I can't imagine how it would be if I had headers. The good
part is that I am planning on replacing the cam, timming chain,
springs and doing the heads. So hopefully I will need the extra
exhaust flow when I get all that done.

Conclusion: If you have a little more restrictive muffler than a 2
chamber flowmaster the high flow cat might be ok, but going with a 3"
high flow cat, 3" pipe into the flowmaster and two 2.5" out it is a
bit of overkill. I think just a new stock cat would have done the
job.

Alan...