Re: SynOil

From: Andy Callahan (quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net)
Date: Sat Feb 21 1998 - 01:41:41 EST

At 04:14 PM 2/20/1998 +0000, you wrote:
>> But you won't live long enough or drive your truck far
>> enough to get a real payback on that investment.
>
>Gary, you are obviously a man of great wisdom! Every vehicle I've
>ever owned has been run with dino oil, and never ONCE, not even ONCE,
>have I had ANY oil-related failure. PERIOD! And my motors always look
>as new at 100,000 thousand miles as the day they rolled off the
>assembly line... virtually ZERO wear.
>
>And who commented about "Why do you t think they put regular oil in
>when it's new? -- Because the synthetic is SO slick the parts won't
>wear in right..." ???? What a bunch of HOOOEY! The new Vettes come
>filled from the factory with synthetic. So there goes that theory all
>to hell.... Oh, wait a minute, maybe they "pre-break them in" at the
>factory....
>
>SNAKE OIL, people. While I don't doubt that synthetic is better, I do
>have reservations about wheather or not is is necessary.
>
>Carl

I'm not sure about the Vettes being pre-broken in at the factory, but EACH
and EVERY car is run on a computer/dyno system before it leaves. The
computer tells the driver what to do as far as how quickly to accelerate,
what kind of speed to hold for a period of time, etc. It also requires the
driver to slam on the brakes. The computer takes the input from the car
and compares it to benchmark figures to see if it is running correctly.
It's really pretty neat. Each car is run through a random test. Fun to
watch. I live in Bowling Green, KY where the Vettes are made and I have
several friends that work as interns there, so I get special tours from
time to time. I even got to drive a '98 prototype convertible before they
came out over the summer. WOW, what a car!

As far as the value of sythetics goes, it is pretty much common knowledge
on the Mustang Newsgroup that synthetics will net a few horsepower (dyno
proven). They all recommend synthetics.

Just my $0.02

Andy Callahan