Re: Gibson exhaust installation

From: T & J (jan@bewellnet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 16:19:29 EST

>From:Tim Roller<starwolf@bewellnet.com

>The BAP,BAP, GURGLE,GURGLE,WOP,WOP and any other sounds that your exhaust
makes is all the normal sounds that a NORMAL performance muffler exhaust
makes. It's the normal SOUND-WAVES hitting each other as the exhaust enters
and leaves the muffler and goes over the axle and out the tailpipe. Please
don't be alarmed with this type of sounds. ON the other hand if you have a
RATTLEY sound from the muffler-it's time to replace the muffler or system if
it's worn out and rusty. If a loud BANG is heard from your exhaust, then
there is TOO-MUCH gas still going into the exhaust and igniting in the
system which needs to be looked into,as either the computer or any many
other sources, such as faulty exhaust valve,bad sensor unit,bad computer
closed loop system,faulty TB,etc, are not closing or shutting down properly
and gas is still being pumped into the exhaust (very minutely)but that's all
it takes. Usually you don't find this on today's cars unless it's CARBURATED
and it's hard to find the right air mixture when changing jets,pump
accelerators,vacuum advances,etc.
>Hope this helps with some of the noises.
>The factory or replacement mufflers are heavely baffled and sometime
packed with a meterial to keep the noise down. When you replace it with a
performance muffler and pipes these baffles in the muffler are redesigned
for LOWER-BACK PRESSURE, and in turns gives you more performance and sounds.