Re: Drop help & info

From: N2mopars@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 22 1998 - 12:32:17 EST

<< I am going to drop my 95Dak. Let me hear from all of you that have done
this.
 Tell me about the kit you used, problems encountered and time to complete
 install. I am looking at a 3-5" kit w/ the shocks for about $500. I plan on
 keeping the stock factory steel wheels for now but going to something better
 after the drop is complete.

 This truck is really awsome!!!! I bought it new and just now have some money
 for cosmetics. >>

I have done the exact same drop. See my truck at
http:\\members.aol.com\N2mopars\index.html I used a Western Chassis kit from
Sport truck direct. Sounds like you are going through them also. The job was
very straight forward. The hardest part is cutting off all the rivets that
hold the old hangers on. I found a die grinder to be the quickest. Cut two
slots in the rivets, like a phillips screwdriver head, all the way down, flush
with the frame. Then get a chisel and a big hammer. Drive the four triangles
off, then use a punch to drive the rivets through. It may be easier to pry
off the hangers after cutting all the rivets, as the rivets are a tight fit.
Then you can drive the rivets through. Another tip, I also found it easier to
put the front coil springs in with the lower control arm all the way out of
the truck. After lowering it, I also ran the stock steel wheels for a couple
weeks before mounting my 17" Centerlines. So the stock tires clear no prob.
One other thing, after lowering the front, make sure your brake lines clear
everything with thw wheel turned lock to lock. Mine were making some serious
contact with stuff. I bent them out of the way. If you plan on going the
full 5" in the back, you WILL have to notch the frame. I only went 4" int he
back, and the axle is on the bump stop. Sorry for a long post.

Brad