Re: Water Leak

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 13:10:58 EST

We've had a fair bit of experience with water here in SoCal lately.

The Dakota door seals seem to leak if the truck isn't parked on a
level surface. The shallow angle of the door sills seems to be the
primary reason, although it's compounded by problems in the way the
rubber seals are designed.

If you take a good close look at the door seals, you'll find they're
perforated every four or six inches. This allows water to get into the
channel in the middle of the seal, where it's piped to the lowest
point - usually the front or rear corner of the door - and then out
another of those little holes right into the cab.

I seem to have largely remedied this situation by cutting new holes
through to the outside at the very corner. To do this, pull the seal
gently away from the door sill (not removing it, just stretch it) and
use an Exacto knife to cut through the inner channel and to the
outside (bottom) of the seal. Do it pretty close to the interior,
and leave the door sealing part intact. You don't need a very big
hole, but you want more than just a slit, so it won't be squished
closed when the door is in place; an eighth of an inch hole works.

Try this on the edge closest to where it's been flooding (if you
always park in the same place) and then do the other three corners
if it works.

Jim

P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--
          Dakota: The Right Caliber of Dodge Magnum Force!
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP
1993 Emerald Green V8 4x4 CC K&N, Accel Coil, Bilsteins, Redline synthetics.
Tread Lightly on Public and Private Lands -- Abuse it and we'll lose it!