Re: 1996 SBEC installed!

From: rich_gambino@VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 16:05:41 EST

> I'm hoping that once I open up the exhaust (cat-back, headers) the
>SBEC will work better. Anyone know if the MP SBEC has a "learning curve"
>like the stock computers?
>
> I'm happy to report that I got absolutely NO pinging

Jon,

I was the guy who posted the disappointing results a few months back
with the '96 SBEC. I thought OBD-II did not require a "learning curve"
but it definitely seems to have gotten better after a few weeks went by.
I can "feel" the difference mostly during part throttle but there must
be an improvement at WOT because my stopwatch 0-60 runs in my usual
spot have improved by about .4 sec over many separate runs (but hard to
say using this method, but there is definitely an improvement). It's
down to about 7.8 sec using this "crude" method, but I do average the
passes in both directions to compensate for road grade.

I have the MP cat-back 3" single exhaust and a K&N drop-in. Headers
will be the next addition if I ever have the money!

BTW, I also have absolutely no pinging (Mobil 93 is the usual; I bet I
could get by with less though).

Sorry for the late response; I'm behind on my digests.

Rich
'96 V8 4X4 CC auto 3.55SG