Tire Rim cleaning question

From: Jack Snodgrass (dakota@cybermail.net)
Date: Thu Feb 26 1998 - 07:31:48 EST

I removed my rear wheels yesterday in order to install some Mopar
Mud Guards on my 97 Dak. I noticed that the inside of the aluminum
rims was covered with grease and grime. The tires has 12K miles
on them.

Does anyone know if any of that grease and grime was supposed to be
there to 'protect' the aluminum finish? There was SO MUCH grease
that it was hard to remove. It was 1/8" think in places.

I went ahead and scrubbed it out as good as I can. Was that a
'bad' idea? If not... can you 'wax' the aluminum finish so
that its easier to clean in the future and will prevent the
grease and grime from building up?

thanks

Jack - jack@cybermail.net