Re: Brakes and Shocks.

From: Robert Trottmann (rotrottmann@davidson.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 26 1998 - 19:22:12 EST

Thank you very much. If I do go through with this on my own (doubtfu=
l), with 55000 miles on the truck 20000 of it mine, should I just go =
ahead and bleed the fluid? Should I turn the rotors if I have time/e=
ffort? I understand that this MUST not be done, but _should_ it be d=
one?
Thanks again,
Robert Trottmann
rotrottmann@davidson.edu
Davidson, NC
St. Louis, MO

Jim Azeltine wrote:

> Robert, I have read some of the posts about changing the brake pads=
, and a couple of comments are off the mark. I will speak to the guy =
next door (he is a mechanic at a Dodge dealership) about the points I=
 am about to make. Jeff Lee was right on the money with his advice. I=
 have always followed this when performing pad changes for many years=
 - I never pay for it.

> First of all, you do not need to have the rotors turned EVERY time.=
 They should however be inspected, they should by smooth (take them t=
o someone who knows what to look for if you are unsure). Rotors can o=
nly be turned a limited number of times, and MUST be within thickness=
 limits in order to be safe.

> Second, it is not necessary to bleed the brakes for a pad change. T=
he only problem you may face, is that as the pads wear, the pistons i=
n the wheel cylinders will continue to move farther out, causing the =
fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir to drop. If you have add=
ed brake fluid, and the reservoir is topped off prior to changing the=
 pads, then it will overflow when you use the C clamp to press the pi=
stons back into the brake calipers. You should keep an eye on this as=
 you go.

> You may find that the brakes feel a little weird for the first coup=
le of stops after the change, this is normal.