Re: SBEC questions

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 26 1998 - 18:52:20 EST

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Timothy E McCorkle wrote:

> I have some general questions that i would like answered before i delve
> into the computer aspect of my 96 318 5spd. Any and all help will be
> appreciated:
> 1) Is there a Mopar SBEC for a 96 manual trans?

  Yes, it was just released a month or two ago. I installed mine about a
week ago. The part number is P4876137.

> 2) What about other suppliers? I have seen something by JET, but is it
> the same thing?

   No, the JET unit is an "inline" jobbie. It is mounted between the
SBEC and the engine. What it does is to modify the inputs and outputs
of the SBEC, it does not replace it. Hence, it does not eliminate
the speed governer or the rev limiter. The MP SBEC eliminates the speed
governer and raises the rev limiter to 6300rpm. (And makes more horsepower
too.)

> 3) I see references to "chips" on the digest, but the catalogs talk about
> "tuning modules". Are they the same thing?

   Yep; some cars have chips that can be swapped out; for the Dakota,
you swap out the entire computer. (The funny thing is that the entire
computer for the Dakota is actually cheaper than the chips for some brands!)

> 4) Will this comp mod improve aceleration, mileage or both?

   It should improve acceleration (due to increased torque); (I think
2 tenths in the 1/4 mile have been reported. I'm not sure about the mileage
yet. (haven't had it long enough to calculate any mileage changes.) It
also seems to improve throttle response, etc. It is also dependent
on the other mods you have done to the truck. That is, it'll make more
HP and torque on a truck that has a FIPK, exhaust, headers, etc. than on
a stock truck.

> 5) Are there different parameters available i.e. racing vs. towing vs.
> mileage?

  Nope; you just install it as-is, there are no configurable parameters.
If you want to tow, you can keep your stock SBEC and swap that in
whenever you want to tow. Mopar Performance will pay you $100 for your
old SBEC if you want to send it to them. (I'm not going to.)

> 6) Are these products truly "plug and play" or must a mechanical wizard
> be involved?

  Yes, they are really plug and play. Take three hex screws out, unplug
the 3 leads, plug the leads into the new computer, and bolt it back in.
   Probably the easiest mod you can do. :-)
  I'm working on a page about the SBEC install for the upgrades &
modifications section of the DML web page. It should be up within an
hour or so. Check it out if you like at:
http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/UPGRADES/
(Look for "Mopar Performance PCM Install").

> 7) Is the Mopar piece only available from Dodge dealers?

  No, you can also get it directly from Mopar Performance as
well as mail order places like JEGS, SUMMIT, etc. I'm not
sure, but you might be able to get it at Parts America, Autozone,
Pep Boys, etc. The cheapest source seems to be Dodge dealers
who sell a lot of performance parts. Places like Koller (sp?) Dodge,
Barrington Dodge, etc. (If you're interested, I have a phone number
for Barrington and a web URL for Koller.) I paid $279 for mine from
Barrington, another member paid $240 from Koller. Jegs and Summit
want $310-325.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; all opinions are my own.