Re: Tranny problems.

From: Joe Borg (joe.borg@ccmail.dowjones.com)
Date: Fri Feb 27 1998 - 12:39:27 EST

     Azie, thanks for the reply. Does anyone modify the od unit to install
     roller bearings and correct the problem?? Joe

Subject: DML: Tranny problems.
Author: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> at internet
Date: 2/27/98 12:03 PM

Joe Borg writes:>>fter my recent posts concerning info I gathered on
DAKS "WEAK" transmissions I recieved a barrage of mail stating my info
was wrong. I also recieved an equal OR greater amount of mail from
people who have are experiencing all kinds of chronic problems, mostly
with the OD unit. Comments?? Joe<<

I agree that the OD unit is weak. I've been completely through a A500
and a A518. Both are mine. I've never taken a vehicle to the dealer
for anything. I do all my own engine/transmission and any other work
that is considered mechanical. I do not do much body work, Here is my
assement of the OD/tranny ordeal. The OD unit has a couple of
Torrington type thrust bearings in it where it should have a couple of
tapered roller bearings. CC skimped here and we, the public, are
paying dearly for their neglence. When these bearings destruct, they
cause the sun/planetary/anulus and the overrunning clutch to grind up.
This causes the filter in the transmission to partially clog and
restricts the flow of fluid which causes low oil pressure on all the
shift mechanisms and low and behold the clutches begin to slip and
there goes the tranny.

I spent over $500.00 on one and over $700.00 (remember that I do my own
work, so this is just parts) on the other to correct a problem that
could have been avoided by a better design.
Just so you know, both trannys use the exact same OD unit. They even
carry the same P/N for it. You can interchange the OD units from one to
the other,

Azie
Ardmore, Alabama