Re: BLEEDING BRAKES

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Fri Feb 27 1998 - 13:51:23 EST

At 08:36 AM 2/27/98 , you wrote:
>Some one wrote: >>You certainly _SHOULD_ bleed the brake system after
>pad/shoe replacement,and if you have ABS, you ought to do it about
>twice that often.<<
>
>Naw!! I've got an '89 with 180000 miles on it and the brakes have
>never been bled. Not necessary unless you open the hydraulics, and
>opening the hydraulics is not necessary until you experience a problem
>internally.
>
>Azie
>Ardmore, Alabama

OK, here's a question about this from someone who knows less about brakes
than he does about women (hope my wife doesn't see this :) (what the heck,
she'd agree)). If you are going to go to the trouble (compared to having
someone else do it) of doing a brake job yourself, why _wouldn't_ you take
a little extra time to bleed the system and replace the old fluid with new?
It couldn't be cost, brake fluid ain't that expensive. For people who are
supposed to be enthusiasts and care about our trucks like we do (we all do,
don't we?) I was surprised at the number of responses that passed it off as
an unnecessary bother.

If it matters, what little I've seen and read about this, everybody
recommends changing fluid with a brake job.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed