Brakes

From: am14@chrysler.com
Date: Fri Feb 27 1998 - 16:53:55 EST

Mike C. writes: >>OK, here's a question about this from someone who
knows less about brakes than he does about women (hope my wife doesn't
see this :) (what the heck , she'd agree)). If you are going to go to
the trouble (compared to having someone else do it) of doing a brake
job yourself, why _wouldn't_ you take a little extra time to bleed the
system and replace the old fluid with new?
It couldn't be cost, brake fluid ain't that expensive. For people who
are supposed to be enthusiasts and care about our trucks like we do
(we all do, don't we?) I was surprised at the number of responses that
passed it off as an unnecessary bother.<<

Mike someone posted that it was (should) be done anytime a brake job is
done. I merely disagree with that. I check my brakes visually every 6
months (remove the wheels/drums and inspect.) MY Dad taught me that
"you don't fix what ain't broke.", and I've found that to be fairly
sound advise. You can cause more trouble than you can fix sometimes by
opening up the hydraulics on brakes. Air in the lines is dangerous,
and I just don't take the chance.
Nothing wrong with changing the fluid as long as you stick to the
proper fluid and make sure you don't leave a line with air in it.
I just don't think it is necessary

Azie
Ardmore, Alabama