Re: anyone sell there car at an auction?

From: mccabet@mediaone.net
Date: Sun Mar 01 1998 - 12:58:51 EST

Jay Boudreau wrote:

> Hi everyone.
> I went to the Dodge dealership today, to check out a 98 Dakota
> Sport. I used Autovantage and was able to purchase a new vehicle for 293
> over invoice. I did not however purchase one today :( Here is my
> problem. I have a trade-in. It is a sweet, well cared for 92 Daytona
> IROC R/T. Perfect condition...42,000 miles. I looked at Kellys Blue
> Book, and the trade in value is 6500.00 Not great, but do-able. I owe
> 6,000 as of today on it. I figured if the dealership can give me at
> least 5,500 I would sign papers today. No Go. Dealership said they would
> give me 3,500 for my car! Yeah Right! I really want , actually NEED to
> get more money for my car. Sunday I will try and see how much other
> dealerships (new and used) will give me. It seems that because the car
> is not listed in the NADA book, I seem to get screwed. (R/Ts are pretty
> rare.. less than 1500 made i beleive) Dealership did talk to me about
> selling it at an auction. I would go with the head sales manager, with
> my car to an auction. Has anyone ever done this? My main question is,
> will i get even more screwed doing this, or can i reject all bids i dont
> like. I don't think they have a starting bid at this auction. Any help
> on this would be great. The reason I WILL NOT sell my car outright, is
> because of the Lemon Law in Massachusetts. I am liable for my car for 60
> days after I sell it.. I have gone threw hell, selling my car before my
> I bought my daytona. Person who bought my other car (which was perfect
> with low miles also) seized the engine a week after i sold it to him. I
> had to pay to fix this, or give him his money back! I will not let this
> happen again. Sorry for my ramblings, I just really want a Dakota!
> Thanx
> Jay Boudreau
> trying to get rid of my R/T

Jay,
        I am not knowledgable on the Mass. Lemon law. However, I would think
that if you had the owner sign a bill of sale stating the car is being
sold ASIS and that you are not liable for their F/Ups, then I think that
should cover you. However, like I said, I don't know the law there.

        On the auction.. I think you can set a minimum bid. If not, you could
enter a sealed bid for your minimum price, or even bid your minimum
price just before the bidding ends on your car. If you arbitrarily set
a minimum bid, you may get no bids. Auction participants like to bid
things up. I guess it makes them feel good they worked to get it.

        Check http://www.edmunds.com and check your car value there. Print it
out and then take it to the dealer. Also, I don't know the value of
your car, but dealers do not like giving any more than wholesale price
for a trade.

        I just jumped to edmunds page below. It lists trade in value for your
car at $5125.00, market value at $6655.00. They also add for options
like automatic, power accessories, etc. Check it out.

  http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/used/Dodge/1992/DodgeDaytona1992.html

L8r

--
Thomas McCabe