Shutter on lockup

From: am14@chrysler.com
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 09:20:06 EST

Ron G. writes: <<Hi, My name is Ron Geoffroy, I bought a 1997 Dakota
EXT Cab SLT in sept 97.I to have some jerky shifting and when the
vehicle has shifted into overdrive,(about 42 MPH) it sometimes feels
like I have a wheel out of balance. But I'm sure that it's the trans
mission. I discussed it with a technician at the dodge dealership.
They say that it is torque converter override. Your trying to push the
engine faster the the transmission wants
to go in the overdrive gear. They say it's normal, I say it's bunk and
I'm searching for more info. I hope this helps and if you find out
anything else, I would appreciate and E-mail. Nice talking to ya.<<

(Shudder) This has been a problem over the years with CC's torque
converters. It shouldn't do it but some do. I would stay after the
dealer intil I was satisfied. Slight increase or decrease in
acceleration just at lockup speed should reduce the problem. I've
never had it happen under WOT or under moderately heavy acceleration
- just under very mild acceleration.

Azie
Ardmore, Al