Hole in stock muffler

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 09:02:24 EST

This may be a stupid question, but what the heck...

I was crawling around underneath my 98 Dak last weekend to check out the
ease of replacement of the exhaust system (cat back). While I was under
there (with the engine running), I noticed a buzzing sound indicative of
an exhaust leak. I found a small pin sized hole in the stock muffler on
the tailpipe end near the bottom. From the looks of the carbon deposits
around the area, this hole has to have been here since new (truck only
has 2K miles on it).

This doesn't bother me much since I am planning on replacing it with
either a Gibson or Flowmaster in the near future. What I'm wondering is
if this hole is supposed to be there - its almost like a little drain
hole. If not, then this should be covered under warranty. If this is not
normal (can't believe a hole in the muffler would be normal), and I have
justification to go back to my dealer for a replacement, maybe I can get
them to credit me on the cost of a new muffler toward a MP cat back
system (which incidentally looks like its made by Gibson). ;)

jeff
98 Rc 4x2 V8 5spd 3.55SG flares