Rattle/squeak under bed?

From: William J. Romberg (wromberg@vt.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 20:14:02 EST

Jon,

I've experienced a very similar noise with my '95 Dak--usually only hear it
when coasting or deaccelerating and turns affect its volume. On mine I'm
pretty sure it is proportional to wheel speed and is more noticeable in
warmer weather than cold. I've investigated various possible sources of
noise (brake pads, axle shafts, wheel bearings, etc.) including having two
different dealers look at it. They could hear the noise, but were
unsuccessful in pinpointing its cause. I've learned to live with it,
because I have experienced no mechanical problems related to it (i.e.
hasn't gotten worse) in 70,000 miles. However, I still am wondering what
it is and if it will lead to something I will have to fix at some point.
Will be curious to see if anyone has experienced this and has possible
explanations.

Bill Romberg

YOU WROTE:
Rattle/squeak under bed?

   I'm getting a strange sqeaking from my '96 Club Cab. Its a
fast, repetitious squeaking sound which I think is coming from under
the bed somewhere. I don't know all of the conditions that will
create it, but there's a left turn on campus here where I always
notice it.

   The truck is stopped, I accellerate slowly (10-20 mph) for about 50
feet, turn 90 degrees left, accellerate to about 30, and coast down to
20 or 25. (20mph speed limit zone) During the decelleration when I'm
coasting is when I notice the sound. It might be because of the road
conditions there, but the road really isn't bumpy that I've noticed.

  Any ideas?

                                              -Jon-

Bill Romberg
Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
106 Cheatham Hall
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0321
(540) 552-9365
(540) 231-5320
Fax: (540) 231-7580
wromberg@vt.edu
"Science is a debate in process, not a body of answers."

                                    ----Jack Ward Thomas