squeak in truck

From: Patrick & Kelly Engram (shetland@pop.erols.com)
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 23:03:11 EST

I had a squeak in my truck in the bed that drove me nuts. I also had a
very slight little rattle that came and went and seemed related to the
squeak. I started experimenting--I put the tailgate down and both
noises were gone. I put it up and they came back. Back down and gone
again! Then I shut it again and the noise was still gone. Down and up
again and the voila! back again! Turned out that the drivers side catch
for the tailgate wouldnt fully catch the pin and the tailgate would move
a little (squeek) and bang around (rattle). When I slammed the tailgate
up from the drivers side instead of the middle, it was enough force to
engage that catch, noise gone... Maybe this'll help
PJe