Re: Re: 96 DAKOTA LIFTING?????

From: Steve (Slow@Primenet.com)
Date: Thu Mar 05 1998 - 06:06:43 EST

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 23:23:23 -0500, you wrote:

>By
>tighting the torsion bars in the front you can get up to two inches of =
lift.
>This sounds too simple and easy to be true, so not that i dont believe =
you
>bill but I was just wanted to know if there was anything wrong with =
doing
>this?

Yes and no Chris. You can get a couple of inches of lift from an IFS
system by tweaking the torsion bars but has it limits. When you do
that, what you are doing is forcing the front wheels down and placing
an additional strain on the bars. In addition to that, you are now
placing the front CV joints out of normal operating angles, which in a
four wheel drive system that turns the entire front axle at all times,
(which the Dakota is) will increase wear of the CV joints.=20

You also detract from the available amount of wheel travel on the
front end. The axles will no longer have as much up travel as they did
in the stock position. You will "bottom out" the front end much
easier.

In the end, the choice is yours. There are reports about addition
strain on other components like the ball joints etc.

        Steve
        Apache Junction, Arizona

97' Dakota, CC, 4X4, 5 Speed, all the goodies 'cept anti-lock brakes,
Mud Flaps, spare-tire lock, Step-Shields, EVSII Alarm, Gibson Single
3" Cat-Back,Tow Hooks....