Re: Red Line Products

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 05 1998 - 13:55:59 EST

>James tell us abou Red Line Syn., in you Dak. I'd like to do the tranny. Did
>you pull the converter and flush it? Or just a regular fluid and filter

I'm running Redline synthetic lube in both diffs, and the tranny, and Mobil 1
in the engine.

I did not drain the TC when I switched from whatever AAMCO had put in the
tranny, however, I let the truck sit for most of the day while I refinished
the tranny pan, and the TCI converter seems to drain down a little bit
faster than the stock TC. I'm pretty sure the valve body of the tranny was
pretty near empty. Doesn't really matter, Redline is compatible with any
other Dextron III ATF.

The diff lube is a bit different matter. The Redline does not use sulphur-
based friction modifiers. On the plus side, if you get a little water in
the diff (happens offroad, despite the vents), you don't get sulphuric
acid forming. On the downside, the modifiers used are reportedly not quite
as strong (film strength) as the sulphur compounds. Not really an issue
unless you're doing a lot of heavy-duty towing. AMSoil synthetic does use
sulphur modifiers, so that's another option.

Because I didn't want any sulphur in there (they ARE supposed to be
compatible, but...), I flushed the diffs by running some Mopar ATF in the
diffs for about ten or twenty miles. There was no noticeable metal flake
after doing this, so I guess 7176 really does have high shear strength.
And I haven't had any problem with leaky axle seals (except that right
front that was leaking before), so I think this is safe.

Synth IS superior to dino fossils.

Jim

P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--
          Dakota: The Right Caliber of Dodge Magnum Force!
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP
1993 Emerald Green V8 4x4 CC K&N, Accel Coil, Bilsteins, Redline synthetics.
Tread Lightly on Public and Private Lands -- Abuse it and we'll lose it!