Magnaflow mufflers

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Thu Mar 05 1998 - 16:09:52 EST

I've been scouting out prices and availability on cat back setups for my
Dak. I was originally planning on a Gibson system, but I have been
unable to find anybody locally who carries Gibson products. This means I
will need to get the system mail order ($249/aluminized or
$419/stainless + $18 shipping is the cheapest I've found) and either
install it myself or take it to a shop and have it welded.

Just about all the shops locally carry Flowmaster and other brands. With
a Flowmaster, all the shops I've talked to put a Y pipe after the
muffler for duals (haven't run across a dual outlet Flowmaster yet).
Also the Flowmaster setups I've heard sound kind of sharp and tinny.

Several shops have recommended a Magnaflow dual outlet muffler. The
Magnaflow is the same price as Flowmaster, straight-through design
(internal Y for dual outlet), stainless steel, has a deeper mellower
tone somewhere between stock and Flowmaster (haven't heard one yet), and
has a lifetime warranty. The quote I got for a dual cat back stainless
Magnaflow setup with aluminized 2" or 2.25" tail pipes, and 3" chrome
tips was $269 - everything but the tips with a lifetime warranty. They
want another $50 for stainless tips (whew!!) also with lifetime
warranty.

Anybody had any experience with Magnaflow mufflers? Also, what size
pipes would you guys recommend running out the back for a dual cat back
setup? Some shops use 2" as their standard package and others use 2.25"
- either would provide more flow than the stock 2.5" single. If I went
with a single outlet, I'd want 3", but it seems that nobody locally can
bend 3" pipes.

Thanks.

jeff
98 RC 4x2 V8 5spd 3.55SG flares