Re: S/C with a clutch

From: DelTech (info@deltech.net)
Date: Sun Mar 08 1998 - 03:37:50 EST

At 08:54 PM 3/6/98 EST, you wrote:

><< I'm way out of my field here, but it would seem that a S/C would not
> require any more turning resistance than an A/C compressor, and they
> run off of a clutch. >>
>

>Question is, how would air flow through it if it were not turning???????

My guess would be that it would work the same way that the turbo does on both
mine and my dads T-Types... When the trubo isn't running its fan just spins
with whatever air flow the engine draws natraly... Then when you pop the pedal
the computer enguages the turbo which ads power to the turbine which forces
air
into the engine..

Now.. as I reacal Mad Max.. His car a screw type S/C... Actualy it looks alot
like an Eaton... Anyway.. Air would have to have some way of getting through.
Maybe it was not a sealed system.. Meaning that the extra pressure came from
a turbine which when not spining under power it simply let air flow through
with
only moderate restriction. Then when power was there vola! Just becuase a
fan
is off doesn't mean that you can't blow through it. :)

I have seen in some of the Jap cars they have an internal butterfly valve
which
dirverts air through a bipas pipe... It would cost more money by it should
work
fine.